Re: recent failover-by-IP changes

On May 2, 2008, at 6:00 PM, Wendy Cheng wrote:
Chuck Lever wrote:
Hi Wendy-

Looking at your recent lockd-failover-by-IP changes... I'd like to make sure I understand this logic before I merge it into my NLM IPv6 patch set.

In fs/lockd/svcsubs.c:
> static int
> nlmsvc_match_ip(void *datap, struct nlm_host *host)
> {
> __be32 *server_addr = datap;
>
> return host->h_saddr.sin_addr.s_addr == *server_addr;

h_saddr is the local host's source address, not the server address, and is used only on multi-interface systems. Is that what you wanted to compare, or did you mean ->h_addr?

Yes, it is what we want (trying not to change the mainline logic if all possible). Bruce did the merge and he did this *right*. Check out how nlm_lookup_host() fills in the h_saddr (and how nlmsvc_lookup_host passes in "ssin") before our changes. But I'll do the testing over the weekend nevertheless - will report back if I see problems.

We'll let you worry about how to make ipv6 working in this case :) .. (just joking .. will help if needed) ..

Does it make sense to use nlm_cmp_addr() here as is done in other places in lockd?

It can - but would suggest leave it as today until your ipv6 patches are ready (are they ready now ?).

Yes.  I plan to test basic functionality next week at Connectathon.

> }
>
> int
> nlmsvc_unlock_all_by_ip(__be32 server_addr)

Should this be "struct in_addr server_addr" ? It would be even nicer if this were a "struct sockaddr *".

Yes, it would be nice. But it would be even "nicer" if we let people run this stuff before another round of revising.

Given that the IPv6 support needs to be finished soon (IPv6 support will be a purchasing requirement for US government later this year), I don't think we can wait. The changes are not terribly invasive, and can be validated with IPv4 testing.

> /* get ipv4 address */
> if (sscanf(fo_path, "%u.%u.%u.%u%c", &b1, &b2, &b3, &b4, &c) != 4)
> return -EINVAL;
> server_ip = htonl((((((b1<<8)|b2)<<8)|b3)<<8)|b4);
>
> return nlmsvc_unlock_all_by_ip(server_ip);

Why can't you use in4_pton() to convert your IP address?

I think in4_pton was my original code (?) We changed it because of a legitimate comment from a code review (but I forgot the details from the top of my head at this moment). Will follow up after I check the archives tomorrow.

Yes, I'd like to see the reviewer's comment.

--
Chuck Lever
chuck[dot]lever[at]oracle[dot]com