Re: recent failover-by-IP changes

Chuck Lever wrote:
Hi Wendy-

Looking at your recent lockd-failover-by-IP changes... I'd like to make sure I understand this logic before I merge it into my NLM IPv6 patch set.

In fs/lockd/svcsubs.c:
> static int
> nlmsvc_match_ip(void *datap, struct nlm_host *host)
> {
> __be32 *server_addr = datap;
>
> return host->h_saddr.sin_addr.s_addr == *server_addr;

h_saddr is the local host's source address, not the server address, and is used only on multi-interface systems. Is that what you wanted to compare, or did you mean ->h_addr?

Yes, it is what we want (trying not to change the mainline logic if all possible). Bruce did the merge and he did this *right*. Check out how nlm_lookup_host() fills in the h_saddr (and how nlmsvc_lookup_host passes in "ssin") before our changes. But I'll do the testing over the weekend nevertheless - will report back if I see problems.

We'll let you worry about how to make ipv6 working in this case :) .. (just joking .. will help if needed) ..

Does it make sense to use nlm_cmp_addr() here as is done in other places in lockd?

It can - but would suggest leave it as today until your ipv6 patches are ready (are they ready now ?).

> }
>
> int
> nlmsvc_unlock_all_by_ip(__be32 server_addr)

Should this be "struct in_addr server_addr" ? It would be even nicer if this were a "struct sockaddr *".

Yes, it would be nice. But it would be even "nicer" if we let people run this stuff before another round of revising.

> {
> int ret;
> ret = nlm_traverse_files(&server_addr, nlmsvc_match_ip, NULL);
> return ret ? -EIO : 0;
> }
> EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL(nlmsvc_unlock_all_by_ip);

The only call site for nlmsvc_unlock_all_by_ip() is in fs/nfsd/nfsctl.c:
I know .. It is a result from last round of code review. I don't have a strong opinion about it though.

> /* get ipv4 address */
> if (sscanf(fo_path, "%u.%u.%u.%u%c", &b1, &b2, &b3, &b4, &c) != 4)
> return -EINVAL;
> server_ip = htonl((((((b1<<8)|b2)<<8)|b3)<<8)|b4);
>
> return nlmsvc_unlock_all_by_ip(server_ip);

Why can't you use in4_pton() to convert your IP address?

I think in4_pton was my original code (?) We changed it because of a legitimate comment from a code review (but I forgot the details from the top of my head at this moment). Will follow up after I check the archives tomorrow.

BTW, thank you for doing this ipv6 thing - not a trivial task.

-- Wendy