Re: [patch] fix statd -n

Janne Karhunen wrote:

 I think you mis-understand our approach. With our patch, you do *not* need
to do anything if you have only one single (floating) interface to do nfs
export (and you can have the machine configured to use other hostname). The
statd's "my_name" is correctly filled (from kernel by our patch) - it is no
longer bound to 127.0.0.1.

What happens when it fails over to node that has
different name?  Mon_name in NOTIFY changes
while address it's coming from does not. Which
one should client believe - the address or the
name?

But OK, I probably need to dig out the patch to
have a look.
In the middle of re-doing our old patch (it should be very small this time, with Frank's patch already in mainline and Chuck taking over IPV6 issues) so the logic can be clear. I also have a feel that you never look into "sm-notify" ? Get nfs-util git tree source and take a look at the "README" file in the top directory. Either Neil Brown or Steve Dickson had added a nice "DAEMON STARTUP ORDER" there. Basically the whole issue is a two-steps thing:

1. statd is the process responsible for recording client address into the nsm directory 2. sm-notify is the process responsible for notifying clients about server reboot activities.

The "sm-notify" design allows the flexibility of notifying clients with different cluster configurations, including yours. I think you already know this stuff very well... just do a "man sm-notify" ... it should clear up your confusions.

-- Wendy