Re: Request for linux-next inclusion of the voyager tree

* James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 17:39 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > * Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ok, thanks. This was exactly the kind of thing I wanted to hear.
> > > It does sound like the Voyager tree is doing things I myself
> > > wouldn't approve of as a maintainer, so I can't really say that
> > > I'm upset by the x86 maintainers then not pulling it.
> >
> > I also take back the "it's obsolete" and "it didnt even build"
> > portion of my NAK - that was overboard as Alan and you pointed it
> > out.
> >
> > I think we can work out something and a clear(er) platform driver
> > interface abstraction with a thin cross section to generic x86 code
> > will be helpful to a lot more than just Voyager.
> >
> > In fact we have implemented that largely and it went upstream in
> > 2.6.30, via the massive changes around this bit:
> >
> >   6bda2c8: x86: remove subarchitecture support
> >
> > This is what _already_ happened to other (ex-)subarchitecture code:
> > visws, numaq were frequent trouble spots too, and with the
> > x86-quirks model they basically vanished from our regression lists.
> >
> > So it's a successful model in practice, and if Voyager is done in a
> > similar way we wont see many Voyager problems in the future either.
>
> OK, so this is an acceptable compromise for me too.
>
> What I think now is needed (from me) are three patch sets:
>
> 1. The final subarchitecture cleanups
> 2. The quirk model/smp ops additions
> 3. The voyager put back.

Yes, that looks fine.

You can have them in a single series for convenience if you want to
(it's probably easier for you to test that way) - but 3 separate
series are fine too, no strong preference either way - as long as
the internal structure and details follows the ordering and
parameters we outlined in previous mails.

	Ingo