Re: linux-next: manual merge of the kmemcheck tree

* Pekka Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 10:58 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > what's your current workflow, what causes the sha1's for commits to
> > change frequently? Do you work with patches (i.e. it's not really a Git
> > workflow at all and you regenerate the git tree all the time you export
> > it from your patch queue), or do you perhaps git-rebase often to clean
> > up patches?
>
> No, I don't work with patches. A lot of the churn comes from the fact
> that I have been dropping and re-applying SLUB defrag patches from
> Christoph lately. I keep them in a topic branch and pull them for my
> 'for-next' branch that appears in linux-next.
>
> The basic workflow for me is as follows:
>
>   - Whenever someone sends me a patch, I apply it to my 'testing'
>     branch, do a little bit testing there and if everything seems fine,
>     I pull the branch to my 'for-next' branch.
>
>   - After few days, I pull (or cherry pick) the patches to 'for-linus'
>     branch and ask Linus to pull. Whenever he pulls, I usually rebase
>     all of my branches to Linus' master.
>
>   - For development, I maintain topic branches that are _not_
>     append-only (such as SLUB defrag and kmemtrace). Whenever something
>     changes there I do a git-reset --hard on 'for-next' and re-pull the
>     topic branches there.
>
>   - Also, I usually rebase my whole tree after an -rc release or two
>     just to keep my tree in-sync with mainline. That usually doesn't
>     affect my patches at all.
>
> So AFAICT most of the changes to SHA1s are due to me doing development
> in the topic branches and recreating the 'for-next' branch.

seems pretty sane to me. We use something quite similar in -tip, with
the distinction that after a very short initial period [a few days at
most] we try to keep development branches append-only as well.

There are 5 main advantages of doing that:

- trust: the end result, despite being a slighly bit messy, is easier to
  trust. The commits are in true historic order, development activities
  and timeline is easy to review.

- integration: creating the next branch is just a matter of doing an
  incremental git-merge.

- guaranteed no-brains preservation of information: no patch is lost
  ever in a pure append-only flow. Doing a git-reset --hard anytime
  always risks the loss of patches - and even if only history is lost,
  that is valuable too most of the time. Whenever i do it i have to use
  additional safeguards against the loss of patches.

- bisection quality: statistically, the newest commits tend to have
  the most bugs. By doing delta patches - even if the end result is a
  higher patch count - makes the risky portion of a stream of
  append-only changes drastically smaller. [this assumes that there is
  an adequate QA effort and that commits do not just sit there unused:
  that the topic branch is tested well enough and is exposed to others
  via linux-next, etc.]

- other contributors: derived work (people basing trees off topic
  branches) do not get sha1's pulled from under their feet. Back/forth
  merging is easy. Having history of development in a tree (as long as
  it's not totally insane history) is beneficial in general.

btw., when you send something to Linus and he pulls, generally you dont
have to rebase/reset to 'clean up the house' - as long as you dont
cherry-pick into the release branch. A "git-merge linus/master" will
fast-forward your topic branch and will turn it into a pure
upstream-based branch.

	Ingo