Re: 32 bit processors / 64 bit processors

nidhi mittal hada wrote:
Can someone come and please clarify -- it finally
above chain of mail raises more confusion as conflict stays till end.

1)processor 32/64 bit --
a)data it can process at one instance --- register size --- data bus size --
OR
b)internal address bus size of processor --- if that is true then what abt case of pentium 36 bit address lines ---
Of course, register size

2)OS 32 /64 bit
a)its virtual address space -- what os provides --- to each process -- which is mapped to physical address space that prcessor provides OR
     b)processor specifies virtual addr space ??

3)extra ques -- why in case of 32 bit arch -- physical memory RAM limitation comes of 4GB ?
2^32 = 4GB simple...

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM, <microbit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:microbit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Hi,

    On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 23:58:20 -0700, C <a.la.kaarta@xxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:a.la.kaarta@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
    >> Well, IMHO the processor does not decide or even know the size of
    >> virtual address space.
    > Ofcourse it does. How else do you think it translates a virtual
    > address to a physical address? Virtual addresses are simply what the
    > software 'sees', the processor takes these, translates them into
    > physical addresses before making any reads / writes to main
    memory. No
    > software can use a virtual address space larger than what the
    > processor specifies.
    >
    >> 1) User may run a firmware on the processor that gives a 1-1
    mapping
    >> from virtual to physical (thus making virtual address space
    equal to
    >> physical address space).
    >>
    > Well, I don't know much about other architectures, so I'll just
    comment
    on

    <Rajat.Jain@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Rajat.Jain@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>