RE: 32 bit processors / 64 bit processors

Hi,

----Original Message----
From: C [mailto:a.la.kaarta@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2009 10:51 AM
To: Rajat Jain
Cc: simonyanix@xxxxxxxxx; Siddu; Rick Brown; kernelnewbies;
linux-newbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 32 bit processors / 64 bit processors

> PAE (Physical Address Extension) expands the _physical_ address space
> to > 32 bits, but the _virtual_ address space stays the same at
> 32-bits, and the virtual address size is what I mentioned as qualifies
> the processor as 32-bit or 64-bit.

Well, IMHO the processor does not decide or even know the size of
virtual address space. It purely depends on the software (OS in this
case) that runs on it. Consider all of the following is possible on the
same 32 bit processor:

1) User may run a firmware on the processor that gives a 1-1 mapping
from virtual to physical (thus making virtual address space equal to
physical address space).

2) Users may be running different OS(s) that give different amount of
virtual address space to use.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rajat