Re: query related to different architectures

On 20/03/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier.adi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/20/07, Rick Brown <rick.brown.3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Secondly, when we talk of 32/64 bit processor, we are talking about
> the data bus width, right? The same holds when we talk about Operating
> systems, right? So the size of address bus does not matter?

it usually refers to the native size of the cpu ... 64bit processors
work normally on registers that are 64bits in size while 32bit
processors work normally on registers that are 32bits in size
-mike

I agree that that's usually what people understand by 32/64 bit
processors, but the whole thing is loosing meaning.
AMD64/EM64T processors also have 128bit registers for the MMX/SSE
stuff, and what about the x87 stuff, that uses 80bit registers, and
when talking about how much memory the processor can address the
Opteron has 40-bit physical and 48-bit virtual addressing and if I
remember correct EM64T processors support only 36bit addresses.
So it's all a little blurry...

--
Jesper Juhl <jesper.juhl@xxxxxxxxx>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html