Re: Sequence of events at init (was boot) - fixed (sort of)

Hal wrote:
On 10-12, Ray Olszewski wrote:

I don't use jstar or its ancestor joe, but the Debian package for joe describes it as WordStar-like. That means -- at least in its jstar configuration -- it is a fullscreen editor using (probably) nsurses, and it may not function properly when called non-interactively, say, as any bash script might.

	I know Ray encourages comments like this; so AFAIK, since
I've been using Joe and it's many key mapping derivatives, Joe runs
vga=normal and doesn't need curses, at least the versions I'm using.
<grin>  Correct me if wrong..

You're right that I do favor this kind of kibitzing. It's why I always try to keep my responses on-list, not private (though I messed up this time around with one reply).

That said, here's what the Debian package archive says about joe:

Package: joe
Section: editors
Installed-Size: 880
Maintainer: Josip Rodin <joy-packages@xxxxxxxxxx>
Architecture: i386
Version: 3.3-5
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-21), libncurses5 (>= 5.4-1)

If Debian thinks joe *depends* on libncurses5, then joe does most likely *use* ncurses. That's quite consistent with vga=normal; you may have been thinking of libsvga, which accesses vga graphics mode without using X.

-