Re: Sequence of events at init (was boot) - fixed (sort of)

Jim Reimer wrote:
I added a bit to /etc/profile a couple of days ago to set the EDITOR
environment variable to /usr/bin/jstar....  that was the problem.  I
don't know WHY that should be a problem, but removing is has cured
the malady.  (Now - how do I use jstar as the default editor?)

You don't ... since it apparently is not functional as the systemwide default editor. (If you figure out the problem ... my prior, off-list message to you offered some advice as to how ... then you may be able to use jstar this way.) I don't use jstar or its ancestor joe, but the Debian package for joe describes it as WordStar-like. That means -- at least in its jstar configuration -- it is a fullscreen editor using (probably) nsurses, and it may not function properly when called non-interactively, say, as any bash script might.

That's all just a guess. The only way to know the specifics of the problem is to find the init script that is invoking the editor ... I believe bash uses the built-in command "edit" to invoke EDITOR, so check the init scripts for that.

But do you need it as the systemwide default? You could add an EDITOR= line to specific users' /home/[userid]/.profile or ./.bashrc directories. Don't try this with root, though, or you may recreate the problem you just fixed.

Ray Olszewski wrote:

<snip>

Why are you running mDNSResponder? Try disabling it from runlevel S (just remove the symlink to its init script in /etc/rcS.d, or change the
starting S to NOT) and see if it helps. You may have to disable nifd as
well, since it appears to require nDNSRresponder.

I guess I'm running it because it got installed with everything else
when I installed FC4....  I'm still weeding out things I don't need -
the problem is knowing what those things are.

Final thought ... what did you change recently? If this behavior is new,
it probably results from your having made some change since the last
successful boot/init.

See above.

I'm back in business.  Thanks.

-