Re: Sequence of events at boot

OK. Jim, I don't use Fedora, but there are a few basic thoughts that might help anyway.

1. That the line you quote ends with "Done" makes me suspect that it is not the problem. As Joy notes below, it probably is the next script that is hanging, not this one. (I can't tell from what you write below, but does the cursor advance to the next line after "Done"?)

2. I believe FC4 keeps its init scripts in /etc/init.d . Have you grep'd "jstarrc" in that directory? More basically, have you grep'd "jstar"? For this kind of problem grep'ing is better than "looking".

3. I'm not sure where RC4 puts its runlevel symlinks (the links to init scripts that Debian and its derivatives put in places like /etc/rc4.d), but I'd suggest you find that location (actually there will be two of them, one for the single-user scripts, another for the actual runlevel scripts -- on a stock Debian system, they are /etc/rcS.d and /etc/rc4.d) and use the numbering it provides to deduce which script is involved.

4. Not to quibble, but your problem is not a boot failure; it is an init failure. What happens after the (apparent) hang? Do you always give up and reboot? How long do you wait (try at least 5 minutes, if you haven't already ... it may be some wacky DNS thing, and they normally time out after 3 minutes)? Does hitting ^C have any effect? Since you say "I've looked at every config, init, and rc file and directory I can think of", you must have *some* way of getting past this stoppage. What is it?

joy merwin monteiro wrote:
it must be finding jstarrc _somewhere_, otherwise it
would have complained. did you try setting the default
runlevel to someother value( like 1) and booting ?
it may not be about processing jstarrc, but something
after that. you never know.

all bootup scripts should be in /etc/init.d/
try grepping for jstarrc there. you can probably
see what is getting executed after 'processing jstarrc'.