Re: Fedora5 Kernel Panic

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:57:19 -0400
Hal MacArgle <haltec@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06-12, Peter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After I upgraded from Fedora4 to Fedora5 I ended up with kernel panic when
> > booting into it.
> >
> > I had media checked all 5 CDs and all were OK.
> >
> > Make a new install of Fedora5, same kernel panic on booting.
> >
> > Google 'fedora5 kernel panic', lots of kernel panic problems with no solutions
> > offered.
> >
> > I started Linux with RedHat 5.2 and upgraded all the way to Fedora5 which now
> > seems to be the end of my affiliation with this distro. Did not use it anyhow
> > anymore, just kept it more for nostalgic reasons.
> >

> > Did somebody say Bill Gates dos not have to worry about Linux?
>
> 	With his money does he have to "worry" about anything??
>
> 	Anyway; I successfully installed FC5 on two machines as long
> as I checked the media first, but this was with the DVD version
> rather than the CD version; two disks.. Could your CD's have a
> problem??
>
> 	Since the install completed and the problem is booting; am
> wondering if a problem with the first sector of your HD not being
> liked by FC5?? Did you try zeroing the first sector before retrying?
> Some remnant code still there from previous work?
>
> 	Since the distrib uses Grub; wonder what the /boot/grub files
> have to say about it?? I wonder if there's a "spot" on your HD that it
> doesn't like, and doesn't show up with other distribs?
>
> 	Maybe just a "fluke" much like your installing some stuff
> that failed for me in the past.. Ugh..
>
> 	Not defending FC5, not my favourite.. As you know, I don't
> use it..

I tried to install on separate HDs. I formnatted them beforehand.
And anyhow it fouled-up my fedora4 installation first when I made the upgrade.

When I checked with google on 'fedora5 kernel panic' they all reported the
same errors as I am getting on booting before it stops with kernel
panic .

When I looked into /etc/fstab it had there a /dev/root which on booting it
reported it could not find. My swap was LABEL=&%@* and more weird
characters. /etc/mtab had only one entry /dev/root

So I guess there is really a bug in this particular fedora5 edition.
--
Peter
-