Re: RaLink rt2500 wireless local area network SOLVED

On Mon, 29 May 2006 07:50:26 -0400 chuck gelm <chuck@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tommi Tapani Piirainen wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have tried to install modules for rt2500 some time now with rt2500
> or rt2x00
> >module. I have managed to compile the module and install it, but after
> >the module with insmod error occure "-1, File don't exist" some thing
> like
> >that. Modprobe though don't give error and I can see module loaded
> with lsmod,
> >but iwconfig don't show any wireless devices:(
> >
> >Error loading the module can be generic, because I can't load other
> modules I
> >compile eather. So if some one can help me with procedure neccessary
> to install
> >modules?
> >
> >Now I have tried to compile the module and then install it and load it
> with
> >modprobe or insmod.
> >
> >#make
> >#make install
> >#insmod $module
> >
> >Where the $module is a name for the module installed.
> >
> >give error "-1, File don't exist"
> >
> >#emerge net-wireless/rt2500
> >#insmod $module
> >
> >don't work, same error "-1, File don't exist"
> >
> >Some times compiling give me errors other times not, I am confused.
> Error is
> >usually "RT2500_DBG not set" if I can remember right. Any suggestions?
> >
> >I am tried to install the module too long so I will try use windows
> drivers if
> >I don't manage to use rt2x00. Is this right way to go?
> >
> >I currently change my operating system to Gentoo and I'm not really
> familiar
> >with it:( My recent compiled kernel is (gentoo-sources) 2.6.16-r7.
> >
> >I have pcmcia and amateur radio compiled in the kernel.
> >

> Hi, Tommi:
>
>  Please always give the exact command and the exact error message.
> I 'googled' and found some comments about problems with using rt2500
> module(s).
> Probably, you should mention your linux distribution (with version) and
>
> kernel (2.?.?).
> I see where someone was having a problem with ndiswrapper and a rt2500
> device
> notbeing able to specify 'b/g' [802.11b/802.11g].
>
>  The wireless device in my laptop is a Broadcom 94306 and I got it to
> work by using
> ndiswrapper.  If you try ndiswrapper, perhaps my setup will be similar
> to yours:
> http://gelm.net/2005/zv5410us/wireless.html
>
> "-1, File don't exist"
>
>  Did you run 'depmod -a' after installing the module?
> Is the module where your kernel expects to find it?
>  (where the other modules are)
> My system runs 'depmod -a' with every boot.
>
>  I am not familiar with the command 'emerge'. :-|
>
>  In your example "#insmod $module", we do not know, for sure, what
> '$module' is equal to. !?!
> [...]

Hi,

I just wanted to reply that I solved the problem. Actually my chip was rt61. So
I downloaded drivers from the ralink site "http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-
1.htm" and compiled it. I got few warnings during compilation and I get warning
when I load the module, but it seems to work:)

--
******
Tommi