Re: RaLink rt2500 wireless local area network

Tommi Tapani Piirainen wrote:

Hello,

I have tried to install modules for rt2500 some time now with rt2500 or rt2x00 module. I have managed to compile the module and install it, but after loading the module with insmod error occure "-1, File don't exist" some thing like that. Modprobe though don't give error and I can see module loaded with lsmod, but iwconfig don't show any wireless devices:( Error loading the module can be generic, because I can't load other modules I compile eather. So if some one can help me with procedure neccessary to install modules?

Now I have tried to compile the module and then install it and load it with modprobe or insmod.

#make #make install
#insmod $module

Where the $module is a name for the module installed.

give error "-1, File don't exist"

#emerge net-wireless/rt2500
#insmod $module
don't work, same error "-1, File don't exist"

Some times compiling give me errors other times not, I am confused. Error is usually "RT2500_DBG not set" if I can remember right. Any suggestions?

I am tried to install the module too long so I will try use windows drivers if I don't manage to use rt2x00. Is this right way to go?

I currently change my operating system to Gentoo and I'm not really familiar with it:( My recent compiled kernel is (gentoo-sources) 2.6.16-r7.
I have pcmcia and amateur radio compiled in the kernel.

Hi, Tommi:

Please always give the exact command and the exact error message.
I 'googled' and found some comments about problems with using rt2500 module(s). Probably, you should mention your linux distribution (with version) and kernel (2.?.?). I see where someone was having a problem with ndiswrapper and a rt2500 device
notbeing able to specify 'b/g' [802.11b/802.11g].

The wireless device in my laptop is a Broadcom 94306 and I got it to work by using ndiswrapper. If you try ndiswrapper, perhaps my setup will be similar to yours:
http://gelm.net/2005/zv5410us/wireless.html

"-1, File don't exist"

Did you run 'depmod -a' after installing the module? Is the module where your kernel expects to find it?
(where the other modules are)
My system runs 'depmod -a' with every boot.

I am not familiar with the command 'emerge'. :-|

In your example "#insmod $module", we do not know, for sure, what '$module' is equal to. !?!
Please specify module name in command line.

'insmod' does not assume any parameters, perhaps you need some parameters or arguments in the 'insmod' command line.

'modprobe' will try to assume some parameters or arguments and if it assumes correctly
all is well.

However, you mention:
"Error loading the module can be generic, because I can't load other modules I compile eather. So if some one can help me with procedure neccessary to install modules?"

Yes, Show us how, exactly, you are trying to load modules and
the exact error messages.

Which distribution and kernel?
Which module version and source ?  (http://download.blahblah.org/pub/rt2500-2.1.23.tar.gz)

Perhaps some messages are appearing in /var/log/messages. Watch
tail -f /var/log/messages
while you insert the device.

HTH, Chuck

-