RE: multicast: same port, different IP address?

I haven't tried this personally, but I would assume that you'd just
sendto() the multicast address specified in the struct sockaddr
*dest_addr.

> Or were you suggesting that the consumers all pull the data from
> HostA, and HostA acts like e.g. a webserver?

All I am suggesting is that for portability and extensibility, you might
want view it such that the UDP port numbers are what identify the
receivers of messages from the application perspective and the packaging
of these messages in IPv4 packets sent to multicast addresses is just an
optimization to reduce the incoming load on hosts that don't need to see
those messages.

Someday you might want to run this over something else like IPv6 (never
say "never", 8^). If the application semantics are tied to the
underlying network protocol, IPv4, that will be difficult.

Jeff Haran