Re: multicast: same port, different IP address?

Matt:

If all nodes need all of those messages, then you should probably use one multicast address and multiple ports. This will reduce the routing overhead. However, if different nodes need different messages, then you would increase the network overhead by sending all messages to all nodes. In that case, you should use different multicast addresses for each message type. In the second case, if the packets are small, you might even eschew a transport protocol and simply run your protocol over IP. It is in this case that a port number has no meaning, since ports are a transport protocol mechanism.