Re: multicast: same port, different IP address?

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 1:12 PM, David Stevens <dlstevens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Since I'm using the address space to delineate messages, can I just
>> hard-code my port (i.e. make it always the same)?
>> Put another way: what is the effect of having one host subscribe to
>> multiple multicast streams, where each stream has the same port, but a
>> different ip address?  Is there a performance impact?
>
>        If any process joins a group, those will be delivered
> to any matching binds. It doesn't matter whether or not your
> process did the join.
>        You can bind to the particular multicast address and you'll
> receive only that group on that socket. For your traffic, it doesn't
> matter whether they are different ports or not in that case,
> since both the port and the address must match.
>        So, if you bind the different sockets using the multicast
> addresses and the same port, you should get the effect you're
> after, just as you would if you used INADDR_ANY and different
> ports.

Excellent, that answers my question(s) exactly.  (Not to slight anyone
else, the rest of the discussion has been extremely informative!)

Is it a dangerous oversimplification to think of the port as simply an
extension of the address?  E.g., you have address 239.0.0.1 port 1234,
but just call it 239.0.0.1.1234.  Then you can tell at a glance that
it will result in a different socket than 239.0.0.2.1234 (i.e. address
239.0.0.2 port 1234).  [I'm not suggesting using this nomenclature, it
just seems like an intuitive way to think about/explain it.]

Thanks again,
Matt