Re: TCP_CONGESTION documentation

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:39:18PM -0800, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> Does this help get it started in right direction??

Yes.

>        This  is an implementation of the TCP protocol defined in
>        RFC 793, RFC 1122 and RFC 2001 with the NewReno and  SACK
>        extensions.   It  provides  a  reliable, stream-oriented,

Perhaps drop NewReno, it's really obsolete because Linux is so
far beyond.

>        Note that  TCP  actually  allocates twice the size of the
>        buffer requested in

The "twice" is obsolete, it's far more complicated now.
So it should be just "more" I think

>        socket  option  is  enabled,  urgent data is put into the
>        normal data stream (a program can test for  its  location
>        using the SIOCATMARK ioctl described below), otherwise it
>        can be only received when the MSG_OOB  flag  is  set  for
>        recv(2) or recvmsg(2).
>
> Linux supports multiple different congestion control
> algorithms. The default choice of congestion control is controlled
> by net.ipv4.tcp_congestion_control sysctl. This value can
> be overridden by TCP_CONGESTION socket option. The actual choices
> of congestion control available vary according between release
> as more are added, and depend on the configuration choices

Hmm perhaps mention the current standard default?

> made when the kernel was built. The list of congestion control
> protocols currently loaded is in net.ipv4.tcp_available_congestion_control.

Best would be probably to have an manpage for each of them, but I'm
not going to write them :)

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx