Re: IP Aliasing: IPs Switched?

Hello,

Lainee Scott a écrit :
--- On Thu, 11/20/08, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Linux uses weak host model, and BSD used strong host model.

What has the host model to do with IP aliasing ? The aliases are on the same interface, so the host model should not matter.

# cd /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/
# find . -name rp_filter
./all/rp_filter
./default/rp_filter
./lo/rp_filter
./eth0/rp_filter
./eth1/rp_filter
[...]
rp_filter is set to 1 for all.  0 for the rest.

This means that source validation is disabled for all interfaces, as the operational value for an interface is the logical AND between the value in all and the interface-specific value. However AFAIK rp_filter has nothing to do with IP aliases nor the host model, it just enables source validation based on reverse path.

 I believe there are 3 settings for rp_filter - 0, 1, 2.

No, rp_filter is a boolean. Aren't you confusing with arp_ignore ?

Also, I did not explicitly add routes for the aliased interfaces like this:

/sbin/route add -host 172.16.3.10 dev eth0:0
/sbin/route add -host 172.16.3.100 dev eth0:1

(cut and pasted from this FAQ http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/IP-Alias.html)

Might this be the issue?  Do I need to add these?

No, these routes are totally bogus and useless. You do not have to bother about this : the proper routes are automatically created when an address (main or alias) is added to the interface.