Re: TCP_CONGESTION documentation

Hi Andi,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 3:42 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:08:22AM -0500, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
>> [CC+= Andi, this time with the right address]
>
> Just a general comment. The initial DESCRIPTION in tcp should
> be probably adapted to mentioned that Linux has pluggable
> congestion avoidance modules now and also that the defaults
> have changed (from NewReno to CUBIC etc.)

If I try to do this, I'm going to create rubbish, because I know next
to nothing about these details...

Could I ask a favor?  Below is the DESCRIPTION text.  Could you note
write some sentences in the rough location where you think they below,
and I will turn that into a *roff patch.

Thanks,

Michael

       This  is an implementation of the TCP protocol defined in
       RFC 793, RFC 1122 and RFC 2001 with the NewReno and  SACK
       extensions.   It  provides  a  reliable, stream-oriented,
       full-duplex connection between  two  sockets  on  top  of
       ip(7),  for both v4 and v6 versions.  TCP guarantees that
       the data arrives in order and retransmits  lost  packets.
       It  generates  and  checks a per-packet checksum to catch
       transmission errors.  TCP does not preserve record bound-
       aries.

       A newly created TCP socket has no remote or local address
       and is not fully specified.  To create  an  outgoing  TCP
       connection  use  connect(2)  to establish a connection to
       another TCP socket.  To receive new incoming connections,
       first  bind(2) the socket to a local address and port and
       then call listen(2) to put the socket into the  listening
       state.  After that a new socket for each incoming connec-
       tion can be accepted using accept(2).  A socket which has
       had  accept(2) or connect(2) successfully called on it is
       fully specified and may transmit data.   Data  cannot  be
       transmitted on listening or not yet connected sockets.

       Linux  supports RFC 1323 TCP high performance extensions.
       These include Protection Against Wrapped Sequence Numbers
       (PAWS),  Window  Scaling  and Timestamps.  Window scaling
       allows the use of large (> 64K) TCP windows in  order  to
       support  links  with  high latency or bandwidth.  To make
       use of them, the send and receive buffer  sizes  must  be
       increased.    They   can   be   set   globally  with  the
       /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_wmem                           and
       /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_rmem files, or on individual sock-
       ets by using the SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF  socket  options
       with the setsockopt(2) call.

       The  maximum  sizes  for  socket buffers declared via the
       SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF mechanisms  are  limited  by  the
       values    in    the    /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max    and
       /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max files.  Note that  TCP  actu-
       ally  allocates twice the size of the buffer requested in
       the setsockopt(2) call, and so a succeeding getsockopt(2)
       call will not return the same size of buffer as requested
       in the setsockopt(2) call.  TCP uses the extra space  for
       administrative  purposes  and internal kernel structures,
       and the /proc file values reflect the larger  sizes  com-
       pared  to  the actual TCP windows.  On individual connec-
       tions, the socket buffer size must be set  prior  to  the
       listen(2)  or  connect(2)  calls in order to have it take
       effect.  See socket(7) for more information.

       TCP supports urgent data.  Urgent data is used to  signal
       the  receiver  that some important message is part of the
       data stream and that it should be processed  as  soon  as
       possible.  To send urgent data specify the MSG_OOB option
       to send(2).  When urgent data  is  received,  the  kernel
       sends  a  SIGURG  signal  to the process or process group
       that has been set as the socket "owner" using the SIOCSP-
       GRP  or  FIOSETOWN  ioctls (or the POSIX.1-2001-specified
       fcntl(2)  F_SETOWN  operation).   When  the  SO_OOBINLINE
       socket  option  is  enabled,  urgent data is put into the
       normal data stream (a program can test for  its  location
       using the SIOCATMARK ioctl described below), otherwise it
       can be only received when the MSG_OOB  flag  is  set  for
       recv(2) or recvmsg(2).

       Linux  2.4  introduced  a  number of changes for improved
       throughput and scaling, as well as  enhanced  functional-
       ity.   Some  of  these features include support for zero-
       copy sendfile(2), Explicit Congestion  Notification,  new
       management   of   TIME_WAIT  sockets,  keep-alive  socket
       options and support for Duplicate SACK extensions.

--
Michael Kerrisk
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/docs/man-pages/man-pages.git