From: linux-net-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:linux-net-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Moore, Paul
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2007 12:11 AM
To: linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Generic Netlink Sockets

[NOTE: my apologies about not quoting the earlier message but I've just
joined the mailing list]

Hello,

As pointed out earlier, if you are trying to write a userspace app to
talk over Netlink or Generic Netlink then libnl[1] is most likely your
best bet.
While the latest release does not include explicit support of Generic
Netlink the code inside of Subversion does provide Generic Netlink
support according to the Changelog[2].

Also, don't forget that Generic Netlink is just a layer on top of
Netlink.  If you don't want to use development snapshots from the libnl
subversion tree you can always use one of the released versions and
write your own Generic Netlink layer on top the Netlink support in
libnl.  The NetLabel userspace tools[3] do just that, feel free to take
a look at the code to see how to work with Generic Netlink in userspace.

[1] http://people.suug.ch/~tgr/libnl
[2] https://svn.suug.ch/repos/tgr/libnl/ChangeLog
[3] http://netlabel.sf.net

--