IPv6 source address selection/routing was [ Src address selection ]

Hi again,

 : > story for source address unknown:
 : > ---------------------------------
 : Yes this is what I don't get.
 :
 : > We perform rule and route lookups according only to the known destination.
 :
 : So, does it mean that if there is a rule (rula A) that matches the src
 : addr then that rule will be just skipped in this phase (since there is
 : no src addr yet)?
 :
 : Then it may find a rule that matches, from that rule it looks into a
 : table, in that table it finds a route and a src addr. Then it selectes
 : that src addr? Let's say the selected src addr is the one in rula A.
 : Then, after flushing the route cache, the next lookup would match rule
 : A and may route differently using the table pointed at by rule A.
 :
 : Is it correct?

[IPv4 answer]: Interesting scenario.  I suppose it is possible for there
to be a different route path chosen, but wouldn't that constitute a higher
preference route once the source IP address is actually known?  I'd
describe your scenario as desirable behaviour.

 : > Try "ip route show table all" for IPv4 addresses.
 :
 : I'm interested in IPv6.

Yikes!  I'm probably pointing you (somewhat) in the wrong direction then.
I'm inexperienced with linux and IPv6.  Sorry if I have pointed you at
all in the wrong direction!

I hope somebody else on this list can help you with your IPv6 question.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-