Re: Src address selection

Hi Martin,

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 20.30, you wrote:
>  : But what I don't get is how can the route be looked up to assign a src
>  : address if no src address is assigned yet to the socket and there is a
>  : rule that should match the src address.
>
> I sense circular logic here.  Either we know the source address of the
> outgoing packet, or we do not.
Yes indeed, that is the whole point. It IS circular that is why I don't get
it. It's like chikcen-or-egg.

> story for source address unknown:
> ---------------------------------
Yes this is what I don't get.

> We perform rule and route lookups according only to the known destination.
So, does it mean that if there is a rule (rula A) that matches the src addr
then that rule will be just skipped in this phase (since there is no src addr
yet)?
Then it may find a rule that matches, from that rule it looks into a table,
in that table it finds a route and a src addr. Then it selectes that src addr?
Let's say the selected src addr is the one in rula A. Then, after flushing the
route cache, the next lookup would match rule A and may route differently
using the table pointed at by rule A.

Is it correct?

> Try "ip route show table all" for IPv4 addresses.
I'm interested in IPv6.

> Make sense?
Yes, THIS does. Thanks a lot. :) But the above does not, yet.

Gabor
-