Re: Src address selection

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 16.29, Martin A. Brown wrote:
> Note also that if the application has not requested that the socket be
> bound to a particular IP, the linux IP stack will select an address from
> the src parameter on the route, or the local subnet.  More detailed rules
But what I don't get is how can the route be looked up to assign a src address
if no src address is assigned yet to the socket and there is a rule that
should match the src address.
I saw that 'ip -6 route show table main' shows not only the routes in
table "main" but in other tables also (not the "local" thou). Does it have
anything to do with src address selection?

Thansk for the links, although I've already read them. They describe
only how the RPDB is traversed to look up a route, and how a src addr is
selected when the route is already found. But not how the route is found
for src addr selection.

Thanks,
Gabor
-