Re: Linux based router for Gigabit traffic

alex@pilosoft.com wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004, Neil Horman wrote:

Gigabit routing is possible with commodity hardware.  It's a software
problem for the cases that go fast enough currently.

Really? What are PCI bus transfer rates up to these days? I havent looked into it in quite a while. N3il

PCI-X 64/133 is 8.5 gigabits/second. Plenty enough. There are now 10GE adapters from Intel and S2IO that do real-world 6 gigabit across long distance links.

Bus is no longer the bottleneck. Ability of CPU to route packets is.

Ok, but it seems this brings me back to me previous point. If the O.P. wants to do gigabit routing without frame loss, he's going to need some level of hardware assist, be it either ASIC silicon, or several other G.P. cpu's dedicated to handling network routing.
Neil
--
Alex Pilosov    | DSL, Colocation, Hosting Services
President       | alex@pilosoft.com    (800) 710-7031

 *Neil Horman
 *Software Engineer
 *Red Hat, Inc.