Re: Linux based router for Gigabit traffic

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:59:39 -0400
Neil Horman <nhorman@redhat.com> wrote:

> Ok, but it seems this brings me back to me previous point.  If the O.P.
> wants to do gigabit routing without frame loss, he's going to need some
> level of hardware assist, be it either ASIC silicon, or several other
> G.P. cpu's dedicated to handling network routing.

I still disagree :-)

Routing lookup can be done with worst case complexity of
O(log W) where W is the width of the lookup key in bits,
32 for IPv4 destination based lookups.  With some tricks
(prefix expansion and the like) you can get the complexity
down even further, to the point where lookups can be done
in 2 or 3 memory accesses, worst case.

It isn't a complex problem.

Read some papers people :-)  There are quite a number which
simply provide a full taxonomy of routing lookup algorithms
and their complexity for lookup, insert, and delete.

Full gigabit routing is possible with commodity hardware.
It's a software problem, not a hardware one.
-