Re: TCP Packet Spacing patch

David S. Miller wrote:
It's interesting work.

Dave,

Since I am just a young student and this is part of my thesis work on some experimental TCP enhancements implementation, I can't hide that my biggest wish when I released it was to receive feedback and advices by the linux-net developers.

So thank you a lot for the interest & precious comments.

> There is one tertiary issue I've considered wrt. this kind
> of packet spacing.  Consider a router that uses a routing
> cache like Linux does, or something similar, and when hits occur
> the hash chain member is moved to the front.  Here, packet bursting
> can actually benefit performance by better taking advantage of the
> hash chain element having been moved to the front.

> It's just a consideration, and frankly in modern routers it probably
> is pretty irrelevant.  Well... most modern routers don't use the
> classic FIFO/drop-tail policies which is what this patch is designed
> for. :-)

You are right.
But it still looks that in some rare cases it could help.
For example, I heard that someone is actually evaluating benefits of packet spacing over some kind of wireless networks: it seems that in presence of large RTTs combined with network "blackouts", spreading packets can improve performances.

Regards

--
Daniele Lacamera
-