Re: TCP Packet Spacing patch

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 05:05:52 +0100
Daniele Lacamera <mlists@danielinux.net> wrote:

> If interested, please take a look here:
> http://www.danielinux.net/projects/tcp_spacing.php
>
> Any kind of feedback is really appreciated.

It's interesting work.

There is one tertiary issue I've considered wrt. this kind
of packet spacing.  Consider a router that uses a routing
cache like Linux does, or something similar, and when hits occur
the hash chain member is moved to the front.  Here, packet bursting
can actually benefit performance by better taking advantage of the
hash chain element having been moved to the front.

It's just a consideration, and frankly in modern routers it probably
is pretty irrelevant.  Well... most modern routers don't use the
classic FIFO/drop-tail policies which is what this patch is designed
for. :-)
-