Re: Forcing packets through an interface in a multihomed machine

On Saturday 31 January 2004 04:49, Xia Wei-Zhong-W20079 wrote:
> Hi, Gilad
>
> I remember that setsockopt(SO_BINDTODEVICE) will need root privilege.
> so can the hijack you mentioned work?

Well, it will work as is for any program being run by 'root'. This means
it's actually quite useful for a lot of network daemon programs that
start as root in order to bind to a privileged port and then drop
'root' privileges after they open the socket - by which time the little
library has already finished what it needed root privileges for
anyway... - think about SSH for example.

It wont work with SUID programs being run by mere mortals, though you
can probably get around this limitation by abusing the fact that
SO_BINDTODEVICE actually only requires CAP_NET_RAW capability and
building some sort of wrapper for the original program, but I haven't
actually tried this myself.

Cheers,
Gilad

--