Re: kL2TP v0.2

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 10:18:43AM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>
> >To the perosn who suggested subversion, I'm going to have to read more on
> >it
> >since it didn't appear "obvious" to me.
> >

> The command line client is very cvs like, so you can probably switch
> over to it without a great deal of grief.

Hmm, OK. I think I got it to work now. I don't suppose it supports
compression because it took a while to pull down the l2tp code. We've
actually made some significant patches to that version at our work,
including support for /dev/pts and a few other things. I'll see if I can get
them for you. We fixed a *lot* of things just to get it to work on our
systems.

> >Next step is to modify the L2TP daemon source to use this code. The most
> >obvious thing missing for me is a way for the server to select
> >tunnels/session to terminate. At the moment it's fire-and-forget.
> >
> l2tpd currently keeps track of the pppd's by the file descriptors that
> it uses to talk to them...well...sorta.  It has a structure for each
> call/session which holds the descriptor and other information, but the
> descriptor is the real link to pppd.  But I guess the descriptor is
> going away, now, so there will have to be another way to keep track of
> it.  pppd would still be a child of l2tpd in the model you envision, so
> we can still keep track of them via pids if you like.

Actually, I looked at the code. Since you do keep track of pids it would be
possible to kill of the pppd which would remove the session from the kernel
automatically.

I think only one function really needs to be changed but the there is lots
of surrounding stuff like providing the directory with the kernel source and
include files and such.

> >The L2TP can ignore a session once it has started. But since you want to
> >have the PPP daemons eventually killed off (not just by LCP timeout) I
> >figure an ioctl is necessary.
> >

> Yes, and we still need to be able to have l2tpd kill the sessions for
> control at that layer.  I guess the user could kill the pppd when
> necessary, but they may not have the information about which pppd goes
> with which call/session, so that might get tricky.

The l2tp daemon has that info, so it should be workable.

> Any idea why they're sending multiple Conf-Req's?  1701 sends two, never
> gets a response to the first one at all, which is slightly concerning
> given that its all on localhost...1702 sends one, gets an ACK, then
> sends another with the exact same parameters?

Good point, I'll have to dig through it and see if I can see what's
happening.

Thanks again.
Martijn