Re: kL2TP v0.2

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

Hmm, OK. I think I got it to work now. I don't suppose it supports
compression because it took a while to pull down the l2tp code.

No, no compression, per se. But it does use the DeltaV encoding method for data transmitted to and from the server, meaning that, now that you've got a baseline working copy, it'll only have to transfer delta's, which should be rather smaller. (Yet another advantage over cvs, cvs sucks down all the files every time, in order to be able to figure out what's changed).

We've
actually made some significant patches to that version at our work,
including support for /dev/pts and a few other things. I'll see if I can get
them for you. We fixed a *lot* of things just to get it to work on our
systems.

Cool...I look forward to them.

As much as you can break them out into discrete changes as possible would be extremely helpful.

Actually, I looked at the code. Since you do keep track of pids it would be
possible to kill of the pppd which would remove the session from the kernel
automatically.

Yeah, there is still some cleanup after killing pppd, but we're already having to do all that anyway.

I think only one function really needs to be changed but the there is lots
of surrounding stuff like providing the directory with the kernel source and
include files and such.

Well...I suspect all of the ioctl stuff will need to be ripped out and replaced...but otherwise, yeah, the more we discuss it and I think about it...it will work without a great deal of change.

I suspect we'll ultimately end up changing a lot in cleaning stuff up, but it should be able to be made to work without a great deal of work.

The l2tp daemon has that info, so it should be workable.

Yeah, as you mentioned...since it keeps track of pids (which I had forgotten that it did). We should be golden.

--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous