Re: First release of kernel L2TP support

Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:55:24PM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:

Man, this just rocks.

I think I may have offered, but let me throw it out in case I'm misremembering it. I want to offer up whatever resources that I have to this effort. Specifically, l2tpd.org and a subversion repository for hosting the code if its desired.

I don't particularly mind. I can't host it right now, so you can go right ahead. The next step for me is to get the pppox plugin for pppd working and then I can look into the l2tp server. It shouldn't be too much work, probably mostly commenting out stuff. No more pty's or data handling.

Yeah...no more pty's...that'll be nice. *thinking through it* You may still end up dealing with pty's...I'm hardly an expert on it, but I think pppd is gonna insist on having a char device to use...even if no actual frames pass over it. I think you've already alluded to that being a problem.

I've never used subversion though, so I guess I'll learn something too.

Its pretty slick...the more I mess with it, the more I like it.

Its basically HTTP, DAV and parts of DeltaV, plus some extra stuff thrown in. Close enough to the standards that it interoperates with standards compliant stuff at this point. The client side is very CVS-like, so that's an easy transition, but there's lots of cool stuff that svn does that cvs doesn't.

If we can fix this data_ready() hook issue, I think it's going to be as
efficient as you can make it. I'm still tossing up whether to handle HELO's
in kernel space but I think it'd be a good test to see if the userspace
daemon is still alive. End-to-end testing and all that.

Yeah, that should be nice. I'd definitely pass the Hello's up to the user-space, would suck to have the kernel module keep the tunnels alive when they really should be dropped.

--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous