Re: First release of kernel L2TP support

David S. Miller wrote:

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:18:26 +1100
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> wrote:

This module *only* does encapsulation/decapsulation so that network traffic
(ie the bulk) can pass through the networking stack without passing through
userspace. You still need a userspace daemon to handle the control packets
and session setup.

In a sense it's the same setup as PPP, a userspace daemon handling the
negotiation and the kernel driver transporting the traffic.

This is exactly how I think things should be implemented.

I'm going to look at your changes and answer the questions
in your original email.

Man, this just rocks.

I think I may have offered, but let me throw it out in case I'm misremembering it. I want to offer up whatever resources that I have to this effort. Specifically, l2tpd.org and a subversion repository for hosting the code if its desired.

Martin, Dave, and others that would be interested in working on this, I'd be happy to set up access to it if you're interested. I've set up it up, currently, at http://jeffm.jeffm.iglou.com/svn/kl2tp. Its on an ISDN line at the moment, but that will be changing...I've got some network re-arranging to do here at home. The current l2tpd source code is also available at http://jeffm.jeffm.iglou.com/svn/l2tpd.

FWIW, part of the network rearranging will end up with this machine being run over an L2TP tunnel, so it'll be a dogfood thing.  Its not exactly a high end system, so I'd be very interested in getting this code to work for my own use as well.
--
Jeff McAdams
"He who laughs last, thinks slowest." -- anonymous