Re: First release of kernel L2TP support

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 09:55:24PM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:
> Man, this just rocks.
>
> I think I may have offered, but let me throw it out in case I'm
> misremembering it.  I want to offer up whatever resources that I have to
> this effort.  Specifically, l2tpd.org and a subversion repository for
> hosting the code if its desired.

I don't particularly mind. I can't host it right now, so you can go right
ahead. The next step for me is to get the pppox plugin for pppd working and
then I can look into the l2tp server. It shouldn't be too much work,
probably mostly commenting out stuff. No more pty's or data handling.

I've never used subversion though, so I guess I'll learn something too.

> FWIW, part of the network rearranging will end up with this machine being
> run over an L2TP tunnel, so it'll be a dogfood thing.  Its not exactly a
> high end system, so I'd be very interested in getting this code to work for
> my own use as well.

If we can fix this data_ready() hook issue, I think it's going to be as
efficient as you can make it. I'm still tossing up whether to handle HELO's
in kernel space but I think it'd be a good test to see if the userspace
daemon is still alive. End-to-end testing and all that.

At the moment if you have the sessions connected over loopback then sending
on one end of the session delivers an skb straight to the other socket after
about 36 nested function calls. (Not the same skb unfortunatly but that's
another story). If I can get ppp in there too...

And yes, I'm very interested in getting this working too. Thanks.