RE: Route cache performance under stress

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003, CIT/Paul wrote:

> The problem with the route cache as it stands is that it adds every new
> packet that isn't in the route cache to the cache, say you have
> A denial of service attack going on, OR you just have millions of hosts
> going through the router (if you were an ISP).  Anything with seeminly
> Random source ips (something like juno-z.101f.c will generate worst case
> scenario for forwarding packets) will cause the cache to constantly
> Add new entries at pretty much the rate of the attack.. This can stifle
> just about any linux router with a measly 10 megabits/second of traffic
> unless

foo have you tried the latest patches posted recently?
get the latest kernel 2.5.x and try it out.
BTW, i dont think it is true you can die with 10mbps. I was reading
some emails where someone said it was a few 100 pps that will kill the
linux sytem (theory mixed with nonsense;->)

> The router is tuned up to a large degree (NAPI, certain nics, route
> cache timings, etc.) and even then it can still be destroyed no matter
> what
> The cpu is with less than 100,000 packets per second and in mosts cases
> less than 30k..

btw thats waay above 10Mbps.

> That's why it's just no acceptable for companies using
> it as a replacement for say a cisco 7200 VXR series (npe300,400 nsf-1,
> etc.) which can do 300K+ packet per second of routing (and yes it can
> even route juno-z.101f.c at 300kpps, I have tested it).   Linux has no
> problem doing 300kpps from a single source to a single destination
> provided you have NAPI or ITR or something limiting the interrupts.. The
> overhead is the route cache and the related systems that use it and also
> netfilter is very slow :/  One of these days they will fix it..... If
> anyone has any ideas or needs a test-bed to try out code on or would
> like me to test some of their code I would be happy to test it on our
> development platforms (single and dual processor with intel e1000
> 82545/6 and above, also e100 and tulip).

I think Robert has some numbers with the new patches with similar setups
as you.
Why dont you compare how much the cost of a CISCO npex devices with
Linux PCs with e1000s as well while you are at it ?;->
I am sure there are people who will like to sell you linux devices
at half the cisco prices doing Millions of PPS via hardware assists.
Support these linux supporting companies instead ;->

The more i think about it the more i think CEF is a lame escape from
route caches. What we need is multi-tries at the slow path and
perhaps a binary tree on hash collisions buckets of the dst cache
(instead of a linked list).
You can avoid the packet drive cache generation event by being a little
creative if it gets overwhelming. Fix zebra to resolve each BGP
nexthop fully every periodic time.

In any case who said forwarding by itself was sexy anymore?

cheers,
jamal

-