RE: Route cache performance under stress

Ahah Jamal!! Yes I have tried.. It does absoutely nothing for the
constant randomness of packets.
It increases the overall distribution of the hash in the cache but it
does nothing for the addition of new packets..
Try fowarding packets generated by juno-z.101f.c and it adds EVERY
packet to the route cache.. Every one. And at 30,000 pps
It destroys the cache because every single packet coming in is NOT in
the route cache because it's random ips. Nothing you can do
About that except make the cache and everthing related to it wicked
faster, OR remove the per packet additions to the cache (I'm not
Even sure why this is necessary anyway.. Who would want to add every
single src/dst flow to a cache? That's what conntrack does and we all
Know how much you despise that heheheh)
And yes, you can die with 10mbps......Try putting in some netfilter
rules and try putting some basic traffic on it and then hit it with
10mbps of juno-z and see what happens to your cpu.  Granted if there is
a linux router doing ABSOUTELY NOTHING you might be able to hit 50kpps
of juno with dual p3 cpus w/ 512k cache each and tricked out settings
for the hash and route cache but you will also drop some packets along
the way..Still this is not  acceptable yet :>
Point me at some decent cost linux hardware assist platforms.. IMHO the
only thing that needs hardware assist is the darn route cache (in its
entierty)
BTW, Juno-z can send 12,000 packets per second or more and it's still
10mbps :>

If anyone has any ideas please feel free to e-amil me direct :>

Paul xerox@foonet.net http://www.httpd.net