Re: Realize Ethernet Jamming Signals?

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Tace   wrote:
> >> CSMA/CD - Jamming Signal
> I am not too sure about the presence of this jamming signal in
> practical world, but I was taught it exist during my basic networking
> course.

The thing most closely resembling a "jamming signal" is found on twisted
pair repeaters, where they inform stations of a collision with a jamming
signal.  This is different than shared media (co-ax) Ethernet where the
receivers see a corrupted signal caused by a mix of the two transmitted
signals (when listening) or a too-high voltage (when transmitting).
With a repeater-based system the collision is represented by a (jamming)
signal to all stations.

A little tidbit that most people don't know: on a 10bT or 100bTx
repeater a successful transmit results in your data on everyone elses Rx
pair and _no_ signal your Rx pair.  A collision results on a generated
jam, not a mix of the 2+ signals, on everyone's Rx pair.  These two
rules, especially the former, mean that a repeater is more than just a
signal amplifier: you can't fake it with simple components.

It's difficult to know what you really want to measure, but you likely
want to count collisions.
All hardware will count
  transmitted OK
  failed due to too many (16) collisions
Essentially all hardware will count
  Transmitted with no collisions
  Transmitted with one collision
  Transmitted with multiple collision (by exclusion)

Most hardware will also count exactly how many collisions occurs.  But
this number is much less useful than it sounds.  It is only useful with
timestamps detailed enough to figure out what the deferral and
collision-based delays really are, and those delay times are the
directly useful values.

But this is all moot: operational networks are almost exclusively switch
based.  With switches, the useful figure of merit is the percentage of
time that flow control has been triggered.  Alas, no NIC hardware
provides that number.

--
Donald Becker				becker@scyld.com
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993