newbie in deep trouble trying to understand advanced routing concepts (re: bandwidth/iptables/tc/multiple routes..)

I've got myself so confused I don't even know if I'm heading in the right
direction.

I'm trying to do traffic control on my RH8 LINUX system.  I'm running
several apps that appear to be outside of the scope for what cbq.init was
designed to do. One of the apps is called BitTorrent
(bitconjurer.org/bittorrent).  It's a peer based file sharing
protocol/application. The problem I'm having is it's connections are
bidirectional and thus I'm not able to control incoming bandwidth. I am able
to easily control outgoing bandwidth obviously.

Now I understand pretty much why cbq.init doesn't limit incoming bandwidth.
That would be the responsibility of my router. Unfortunately my router is my
DSL modem. My question is are there any work around?

Until a couple of weeks ago my networking experience was limited to system
setup and I never really had to delve into routing concepts. I'm trying to
read all I can but there really ain't much out there.

Please excuse my stupidity but would it be somehow possible to add some kind
of new route for packets coming from the internet to pass through so I can
apply filters? Would realms be an appropriate tool for developing a
solution? Is it as simple as changing my iptables?

Am I just SOL? I'd be happy to RTFM if someone can point me to one or more
docs and suggest the order I should read them. Right now I find the
iptables, iproute2, tc stuff all hard to tie together and nearly every
example is of a firewall routing to an internal LAN. I just can't see the
forest through the trees right now.  Is there a way I can get my LINUX box
to route outside traffic through itself?

Your help would be most appreciated.

-ethan

-