Re: gigabit Ethernet with slow PowerPC VME processor

Also this comes to mind:

Do you have other PCI cards in this machine?
And - is it equipped with 64bit slot?
And is it 66MHz (the PCI bus)

Remember:
To get the full bandwidth on the Gb NIC you need the 66MHz/64bit PCI bus.
The slowest card on the PCI bus determines the SPEED not the WIDTH.
So a 33MHz card on the bus will limit your entire PCi bus to 33MHz.
64/32 bit is on a transaction basis unless you have a bus extender that only does 32 bit.

The speed you should be able to get with this Intel part should be around 750Mb/s assuming a 66MHz/64 bus.

Average speed for Gb NICs are around 350Mb/s

Regards,

Dr. Karsten Jeppesen VP of Technology Total Impact <mailto://kj@totalimpact.com> Tel: 805.987.8704 Fax: 805.484.9469