Re: gigabit Ethernet with slow PowerPC VME processor

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 03:13:55PM -0400, John Heffner wrote:
> First, if you haven't done so, set the MTU on all your GigE interfaces to
> 9000.  This should help a lot as there's a significant amount of
> per-packet overhead.  Hopefully your switch supports this.

Unfortunately, I don't think that it does.  I will try to borrow a cross-over
cable to test whether this improves performance enough to warrant purchasing
a different switch.

> Also, if you want to take advantage of checksum offloading (doing
> zero-copy), you'll have to use the sendfile(2) call.  There's really no
> way around this with a sockets API.

Interesting: a little searching suggested that the way to go about this
would be to mount a tmpfs filesystem, create a file on it (which only
exists in memory), mmap() it, do my VME accesses there, and then sendfile() it.
Do you know whether there are any benchmark programs available that would
let me test this mode of operation easily?

Also, I wasn't able to find anything relating to transmit checksum offloading
under any condition in the e1000 driver source code.  Is it there somewhere,
but just hiding?

Thanks very much!

-- Fred

-- Fred Gray / Visiting Postdoctoral Researcher                         --
-- Department of Physics / University of California, Berkeley           --
-- fegray@socrates.berkeley.edu / phone 510-642-4057 / fax 510-642-9811 --
-