Re: Random craches when using PCI card

Hi again... Thanks for telling me that there is a bug and that it is fix, hopefully...

The messages only appear on the D-Link DFE 530TX card, sorry for not making it clear enough...
I have compiled the Magic SysReq keys into the kernel, a guy gave me the idé that I could reset the computer
with that when it craches, but no it didn't work... Every time it has craches I have been using the network...
I get no errors, nothing in the logs, it just freeze..

Could I do something that could test the PCI slot?
Or is there some information that could have been echoed that I have missed, realatively new to Linux so there could be...

The bug in the via-rhine driver could I just fix it by taking the code from 2.4.21-pre and apply it to 2.4.20, if so how?
Is it just to take the code and compile it our do I have to use cute and paste?

/Jonas

At 17:49 2003-03-08 +0100, you wrote:
On Sat, 08 Mar 2003 16:30:05 +0100, Jonas Jonsson wrote:
> I have had some problems earlier that I can't use my network cards in
> 100Mbit/s under the 2.4.20 kernel...
> The cards I have tried is a new $50 3Com with drivers that come with the
> 2.4.20 kernel and
> a $10 D-Link DFE - 530TX with both via-rhine and rhine-fet drivers.
>
> If I set the PCI cards in 10Mbit/s Full-Duplex Mode it can work for about
> 1-5 days without craching.
> If I set it to 100Mbit/s it takes just a few seconds before it starts
> filling my syslog with these kind of msg.
>
> Jan 13 18:32:41 tux kernel: eth0: MII status changed: Auus changed:
> Autonegotiation advertising 05e1 partner 45e1.
> Jan 13 18:32:41 tux kernel: eth0: MII status changed: Autonegotiation
> advertising 05e1 partner 45e1.
> Jan 13 18:32:41 tux last message repeated 51 times

So are you saying the very same messages appear whether you have the 3com
or the D-Link card in the PCI slot? Oh, and how does all of that qualify
as a crash? It's only networking that's malfunctioning, right?

The via-rhine driver in 2.4.20 is broken for Rhine-II at 100Mbps (which is
what some of the 530TX are using). There is one bug that can trigger floods
of autonegotiations, and I'd expect it to occur more frequently on low-end
machines like yours. Why the 3com card would show the same behaviour seems
puzzling, though.

The latest 2.4.21-pre versions contain substantial improvements, and with
any luck the remaining ones will find their way into 2.4.21 proper. You may
want to give them a try.

Last thing as far as the 530TX goes: try building without MMIO support,
just in case.

Roger
-
-