Re: Odd lockup problems

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:10:51PM -0700, Justin Booth wrote:
>     I have a lockup issue where the only thing that seems to work is the
> networking portion of the kernel.  We speratically have random servers that
> "lockup" (no keyboard response, though the num-lock button still turns on
> and off num-lock light,  nothing displayed on the screen, nothing logged
> into /var/log/messages, no core dumps on reboot, and none of the crons that
> are cronned (like sa) ever run).  The odd part is that the server pings, and
> you can get established TCP sessions to the machine, although the underlying
> programs never respond. (ie, I get an established socket to port 22, but the
> ssh server doesn't respond  at all  (never prompts for a passed, etc), same
> result on port 80, no response.). We currently are useing kernel 2.4.18,
> with Intel EtherExpress 10/100 cards , AMD 2.1 ghz processors, 2 gigs of

I had the similar problems with stock kernel driver for EtherExpress
100 (eepro100.o module). I even asked in this list about that issue
but didn't get any response. The problem is solved by downloading
driver's source from Intel's site named e100-version.tar.gz (where
version was actual version of the driver's source). Sorry, I can't
remember URL, but following debian-devel list I think (if my brain
works) that source is in the new 2.4.20-pre10 (or something like that)
kernel source.

Milan
-