How do ISPs administer IP address ranges?

If a ISP allows their routers to exchange routing information with the
customer's routers any user would be able to appropriate IP
addresses, wouldn't he?
The Firewall-HOWTO states at the end of 6.4 section (BIG NOTE)
that the ISP might not be routing packets for your private network
address.
How do ISPs avoid that anyone make unauthorized use of IP addresses?
Do they forbid routing information exchange with customers routers?
Do they additionally filter packets from/to IP addresses not assigned?
I feel that the ISP forbids exchange of routing information with their
customers.
How does the ISP PPP daemon inform the routing daemon about who
is connected to an interface and therefore what network address
packets should be forwarded for him?
What RFCs should I read to learn about routing?
TIA
Zacarias

-