How can I distribute traffic among two different connections/routes?

I would like to know how can I use two conections to the Internet in a way
that the
traffic is distributed acording to the bandwidth available at both
connections.
I feel it should be implemented by means of a host with the two interfaces
connected
to the Internet where routing is commanded by bandwidth shaping.
Would it be possible to use two different hosts, each with one of the
connections to
the Internet.How should I do this approach? Using a normal default route in
the hosts
in my LAN doesn't allow for the distribution of the traffic among the
gateway hosts.
Making my question more general: Can the bandwidth information be exchanged
between routers in order to make routing decissions. In my simple case I
would have
to inform the hosts in my LAN about which gateway will forward packets
before.
TIA
Zacarias

-