force media on NIC

I have an Etherexpress Pro/100 built into my server [Acer Altos 12000].  I
installed RedHat 7.2 on it and everything went smoothly but I am getting
abysmal transfer speeds through the ethernet interface. I downloaded the
kernel sources from another machine on the 100Mbit switched network and I
got an average transfer rate of 56KB/sec from it. This same machine can
exchange data perfectly with other hosts on the network with no slowdown, so
I expect that the problem is with this new Altos server.

What would be the best place to start looking? There were no collisions nor
errors on the Ethernet interface. Ping times are perfectly normal for our
network - 0.4ms ~ 1ms.

If it were a problem with media detection (the Altos server is directly
connected to a 3COM SuperStack II 3300 in autosense mode) then I'd expect to
see some errors on the interface, or collisions etc, but nothing seems to be
amiss there.

Any suggestions?

-Ahsan Ali

-