Re: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf

In article <9qi70a$ku0$1@cesium.transmeta.com>,
"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com> writes:
> Okay, this feels really stupid, but I can't for my life figure out the
> relationships between the nodes under /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf on 2.4
> kernels.  It seems that writing 0 > all/accept_source_route should
> turn off accepting source routes on all current and future interfaces,
> yet I am seeing messages in the logs that makes me worry that that is
> not actually the case.  Furthermore, touching the "all" node doesn't
> affect any of the other nodes, which I don't really know how to
> interpret.

default is what is used to initialize new interfaces

all has strange semantics; some values are broadcast, some are not.
Probably only Alexey remembers them correctly (he invented it);
I cannot and they're undocumented; so I would suggest everybody to set the
interfaces they care about explicitely and use default for new interfaces.

> Anyone could offer advice on what the real story is w.r.t. the "all"
> and "default" nodes, i.e. what are their exact semantic definitions,
> especially in the presence of changing status on interfaces (some web
> pages seem to claim that you have to restart the interfaces for these
> to take effect, which seems very uncharacteristic of Linux IMO.)

For some of them you need to flush the routing cache
(echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/flush)
for them to take effect. Restarting interfaces implies that.

-Andi

-