Kernel to user space communication.

Hi all,
     I hope the cross posting is OK.
     The Zebra routing protocol uses netlink sockets
to communicate routing update needs to the Kernel.
What would be the best way for the Kernel to
communicate info back to any user space module. It
appears that Netlink does not provide a command that
the user space module can use to say something like,
"let me know if an event happens at your end" or is
there.
    If I understand it correctly the recvmsg in Zebra
is used for getting back error reports for which there
are standard messages defined in Netlink sockets.

     In particular, if LDP module is to use the
routing table which Zebra updates, could the Kernel
communicate to the LDP module each time Zebra updates
the kernel routing table.

    Would appreciate the guidance....

Thanks much.
Raman