Re: netbios services for windows dialup client

Tony Nugent wrote:

> I've done everything I can think of... given an ms-wins parameter to
> the pppd client, got it to logon to the network server with the
> dialup, and so on.  proxyarp is configured for the dialup on the
> ethernet interface, so the linux box should be "masquerading" for
> the IP on the box on the dialup (which is given an address within
> the internal 192.168.x.x/24 network).
>
> But the laptop sees nothing, no network neighbourhood.  (If the
> laptop is put onto the local ethernet, everything works just fine).
>
> tcpdump on the linux reveils that the dialup is talking to the wins
> server and apparently getting logged in.  Broadcast netbios packets
> from the dialup box get propagated onto the ethernet, but replies
> don't appear to be passed back to the dialup client.  It certainly
> doesn't get a browse list from anywhere.

If the laptop is using WINS, there shouldn't be any NetBIOS broadcasts
involved. All queries should be unicast, directed at the WINS server.

I'm wondering if the laptop is actually picking up the WINS server
information via PPP. Does it work if you enter the WINS details into
the "TCP/IP Properties" dialog? Or if you use DHCP?

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>
-