netbios services for windows dialup client

A picture tells a thousand words, so...

  +---------------+       +--------+    +-------------+ ISDN
  | win2kse       +=======+ linux  +----+ cisco isdn  +======internet
  | laptop client | modem | server |    | router      |
  +---------------+         |internal
                            |network
                            +--NT wins/logon/exchange server
                            +--NT workstations (4)
                            +--w2kse clients (20+)

   The linux server is a masquerading router for the network behind
   it, with samba running as a client, dns server, mail MX and
   relay, proxy, dhcpd and pop server, router and firewall (along
   with the cisco).  The NT (4sp6) box is needed as an application
   server and exchange/outlook services (yeech, but that's what they
   want:) The NT workstations are a total PITA and they are going
   soon (samba isn't yet able to act as a PDC or BDC or handle trust
   relationships very well yet, so NT server has to do this for the
   moment).  Probably a typical setup in small-medium corporate
   offices.

   There's a modem hanging off the linux box which is being used for
   local internal network (and internet) access from outside (by the
   people who work the office).  I have it all working very well as
   far as all the networking is concerned (email access, internet
   access and so on).  (VNC is proving a very useful piece of
   software, recommended for easy remote management, quite useable
   over a phone line).

What is totally p'ing me off is how to get the dialup box to become
a full part of the windows netbios network (ie, open network
neighbourhood and then see all the workstations and their shares and
printers and so on).

I've done everything I can think of... given an ms-wins parameter to
the pppd client, got it to logon to the network server with the
dialup, and so on.  proxyarp is configured for the dialup on the
ethernet interface, so the linux box should be "masquerading" for
the IP on the box on the dialup (which is given an address within
the internal 192.168.x.x/24 network).

But the laptop sees nothing, no network neighbourhood.  (If the
laptop is put onto the local ethernet, everything works just fine).

tcpdump on the linux reveils that the dialup is talking to the wins
server and apparently getting logged in.  Broadcast netbios packets
from the dialup box get propagated onto the ethernet, but replies
don't appear to be passed back to the dialup client.  It certainly
doesn't get a browse list from anywhere.

Is there some magic thing that I need to do so that the dialup
client transparently becomes part of the windows netbios network?

I'm probably missing something very basic here... the samba server
is only configured as an NT client and some tweak with it might be
able to enable it to act as a "proxy" wins server for the client...
<shrug>  dunno.  :)

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Tony