Re: New era with Linux No Windows !!!!!!

V O Y A G E R wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I need your help realetd to this topic. There may be more than one solutions
> for this problem. The problem is that how one can provide a similar interface
> to user who uses M$ Windows as a workstation.
>
> This interface should be user friendly and similar to M$ Windows so that the
> end user do not get boared from this Linux workstation. The solution which I
> have in mind is
>
> 1) As this Linux machine is a simple workstation therefore only core
> applications should be installed on it. This include kernel and other basic
> applications that are necessary for any Linux machine. We can use any Linux
> flavour for this purpose Like Redhat, SUSE etc.
>
> 2) For Web Browsing all people know netscape is the best.
>
> 3) For office utilities StarOffice by SUN will be used.

Since you are using star office anyway why not us it as you
WM.  Looks like windows, acts like windows(slow).

> 4) For email client we can use netscape or any other client.
>
> May be I miss some applications. People are fad up from viruses,therefore they
> would like Linux,which is virus free.
>
> A few days ago ActionAid a UK based charity decided that they will use Linux
> at workstations end due to viruses, which spread and crash machines at
> continous times.
>
> My purpose is not for commercial use. I belong to a development sector
> organisation in a developing country. I hope if we succed in a solution like
> this then this will help promoting Information, Communications and
> Technologies for Human Development and bridiging the Digital Divide.
>
> I explain one solution which I have in my mind. There may be people who know
> many other solutions for this problem which are being implemented in different
> Developing Countries.
>
> I hope gurus will help in this problem.
> Many thanks in advance.

Jeff Largent                   ImageLinks, Inc.
System Admin                   Melbourne, Fl 32935
(321) 253-0011                 fax:(321) 253-5559
-